Homeowners insurance covers damages to your home, belongings, or other structures on your property such as a garage, deck, shed, or fence. It may also cover tree removal and cleanup depending on the situation and how the damage occurred.
Donna Kessler, our in-house claims manager put together this guide to help explain what may or may not be covered under your insurance policy regarding damages caused by fallen trees.
Does homeowners insurance cover tree removal?
Before a Fall – Homeowners insurance does not cover pre-emptive removal of dead or diseased trees. This is considered part of normal property maintenance and is the responsibility of the homeowner.
Example: If any tree is blown down by the wind in the insured’s yard and does not hit the home, outbuildings, fence, or bulkhead, it is NOT covered for removal under any policy.
After a Fall – Most homeowner’s insurance policies cover both tree removal and repairs for damage after a tree falls depending on where the tree falls and what kind of damage it does
- If any tree is blown down by wind and does hit the insured’s home, outbuilding, fence or bulkhead or blocks insured’s driveway or handicap ramp it IS covered for removal under the insured’s policy.
- If the insured’s tree is blown down by wind out of the insured’s yard and hits the neighbor’s home, outbuilding, fence or bulkhead or blocks the neighbor’s driveway or handicap ramp, it IS covered for removal under the neighbor’s policy and not the insured’s policy.
Does homeowners insurance cover damage to your car from a fallen tree?
No. Your auto policy’s comprehensive insurance, also known as “other than collision” will cover damage to your car caused by fallen trees or other events that are out of your control such as theft, fire, weather or acts of nature.
- Your tree damages your car = Covered by your auto insurance
- A neighbor’s tree damages your car = Covered by your auto insurance (unless negligence is proven)
- Your tree damages a neighbor’s car = Covered by their insurance (unless negligence is proven)
- Tree cut down by tree trimming company damages your car = Covered by their insurance (is they have it)
Donna Kessler, has over 15 years’ experience managing claims for The Insurance Center. Do you have a claim question you would like answered? Contact Donna or one of our agents at The Insurance at (252) 637-4173 or visit our website at: https://www.ticnc.com/claims/.